Tuesday 7 June 2011

Film Editing

After filming the footage for my four dream sequence I began to edit each individually.

Doppelgangers
I started editing this sequence firstly by putting the two film sequences together. I cropped the the left and right sides accordingly to each half and when placed on top of each other they lined up almost perfectly because I kept the camera in the same place for each filming process. There was a slight line down the middle but this is barely noticeable and sure won't be when viewed on the small and old TV in my installation. I had problems when matching up the two sides with their interactions because one side was talking a lot faster than the other. This was because when filming we tried matching it up with another person repeating the lines, looking back now I should have recorded the sound of the first side of the lines while filming and played it back to match up perfectly with the second side's lines. To fix this I had to cut sections of film and speed up the long gaps within the right side's lines to start talking straight after the left side had finished. When I edited this sequence I decided to keep out the part where the person on the right would enter the room, as we get that they have came in when they enter the shot, also this was hard to get the left person to watch the right person sit down, which was difficult to express without the other person actually being there. Once the two sides were perfectly lined up with interaction I needed to figure out what to do with sound of them talking, I could either keep the sound or add subtitles. Keeping the sound would interrupt with the music chosen for this sequence. when I chose to add subtitles i found that the words below were distracting people from viewing the sequence and by this I realized that what they were saying is irrelevant but instead that there are two of the same people in one shot which is important, so to fix this I changed the scrip into French and added these for subtitles as this also shows they are interacting and that i haven't forgot that but keeping main interest on the two people.

Reversed Chronology
When I tried to put the footage onto final cut pro there was a fault with it, it didn't up load the end part where people threw balloons and confetti. After re-uploading and starting new projects on final cut that final part would still not come up to edit, luckily I was still able to use the rest of the footage. I reversed what I had that still worked perfectly well for the intentions of this sequence. when looking through the sequence there were very obvious gaps where people there wasn't anyone walking behind the center figure, so i cut the film during these parts and speed them up, making them shorter for the next group of people to come in shot.

Woods Trail
Because I story boarded precisely what I wanted I found filming and editing this sequence a lot easier and i was able to film it all in one go without having to go backwards and forwards between filming and editing. I knew from my storyboard how i was telling the story so this didn't take very long for me to cut the sections of film and keeping them together. During filming I filmed a few parts that weren't story boarded. I filmed a close up of my main character picking up the wool he is following and I also filmed upwards towards the trees above while walking around. This really gives a sense of time passing as we have moved away from the main character while also showing that there is still movement.

Backwards Smoking
When i came back to the footage I had for my back wards smoking sequence I found that through out the footage the smoke didn't show up at all, making this footage useless for my dream sequence. it was concluded that it could have been that it was too dark for it to be capture on film and that if i were to film it again it could work if I were to have better lighting but we we're still uncertain this would work.I could either take this sequence idea out of my film or try to film it better. If I were to have more time to text this and film it again i would but with all my other sequences it didn't seem required as i probably have enough footage of surreal dreams with just my other 3 sequences.

Transitional Dreams
Using the three types of footage of projected marked and painted film, Ink mixing in water and ink dripping down a plane of glass. I layered these and changed the opacity by using the "Overlay" function on final cut pro. I tried to use footage for the three types of footage that doesn't have the same colours so we'd be able to see each layer. I used the footage of dripped ink with only one colour as with all the other footage I didn't want too many of the same colours flowing at once as you wont see the the different parts separately as the painted film footage is moving really fast.

Transitional Problem
Once I had edited all the seperate dream footage and I needed to merge each sequence together with transitions. I wanted a transition that goes from one image of footage and fades directly into the already playing next footage. I thought this transition would be best for my film as with dreams they dont stop and start they flow continuously overlaping and having no direct link as it's all a random stream of things happening.

When I tried adding a transition but when I dragged the transition over to the footage it didn't add to the sequence. After playing around with the settings and failing, it was concluded that this was probably happening because of there being so many layers of footage and so much different editing occuring at once in one project. To fix this I exported the current footage that merged all the layers together into just one strip of film when I imported into a new project.

I used the cross dissolve transition but for this to work I had to split the footage into two layers for where the footage would switch layer each time for a transition because I need the next lot of footage to have started playing before the first lot of footage would fade out and finish.

No comments: