Saturday 18 June 2011

Making My Quilt of Dreams

Once I had stitched all the patches together into a block of patches, I started on the boarder. I placed the block of patches on the bed to work out how big I needed the boarder for it to fit on the bed. Once measured out I cut the out the big strips and pinned it around the block of patches making sure I folded the boarder diagonally to fit each together at the corners.
At this point it was considered there was something missing on the bottom row as there were painted patches all on the top three rows it seemed like our attention was drawn away from the bottom by these. To fix this I painted on the lace patch on the bottom (the one furthest away from the painted patch above) making painted patches on every row.

When the front was together I stitched a big piece of fabric for the back leaving a hole in the bottom unstitched for me to put the wadding inside. With the wadding inside I hand stitched the small gap up with loose stitches of white thread for it to be unseen.


Having the quilt all stitched together all I had left was additional stitching all over the quilt to finish it off; making it look padded in the stitched around areas. I used invisible thread to stitch around the patches so the stitches were unseen in order to seperate the patches from each other.


Before stitching text around the boarder I needed to test out the ideas I had for what to put around the boarder. So I took a picture of my quilt and printed off multiple copies to write on text to see what work best. I looked at using quotes of dreams, quotes from the existing dreams of my survey results and sleep related words.

words - I felt having just sleep related words was quite a typical thing to do and it's something I've seen done quite often. I would prefer a sentance more that a mess of words in random places.

big Quotes- These both have too many words that it would be impossible for me to able to fit it all on and get it finished in time.

Shakespear quotes - It was left to choose between these two shakespear quotes, and from re-reading them I chose the quote from Henry V as it talks about sleep in more depth than the other.



I drew onto the boarder lightly in pencil marking out the letters for me to stitch over with blue thread, this gave me a guide to follow to make sure that the lettering was spaced well and stayed in a straight line along the boarder. I used blue thread for the text because it creates a relaxed calm feeling, and as this colour is very nuetral it also does not show any bad dreams or negative feelings and helps to show the relaxed atmosphere the installation creates. Also the blue thread fitted in with the colours already used throughtout the quilt, keeping the quilt, and the installation within the same colour scheme, ensuring that it all flows into each other as dreams do.
 
Paint Problem
When I had painted on the quilt after the front was stitched together I accidentally got yellow oil paint on the white boarder. After failing to clean it off with turps and a cotton bud, I need to fix this by covering it with something. I tested covering it with white oil paint but it was still obvious that it had paint on so I added to it by gluing cut out lace over the painted sections. This worked well to hide the paint. For it not to look odd that there were a couple of lace in the corner I add more lace the diagonally opersite corner, framing the quilt with lace. I that by adding lace to the boarder has actually improved it by bringing out the patches even more that the patches weren't seperate to the boarder, bringing it all together.



No comments: