Sunday 26 June 2011

Cut Out Lace

I knew I wanted to have a physical dipiction of the 'dream energy' that flows around the room, I talked about this in my proposal as I thought this would be a good way of blurring the boundry between being asleep and being awake in the installation design.

My biggest influence to make these is
Mia Pearlman's Cut Paper that represent clouds, the intricate design with pieces of paper twisted and intertwined shows a very complex and beautiful design which i thought could also represent the physical aspect of dreams well. I was also influenced by Tord Boontje, he worked with paper/plastic flower chains to design furniture, as he is a product designer. Although this was not the affect I was trying to achieve I liked the way the patterns in the chains showed detail in even the smallest section. This is what made me choose a lace pattern design, it allowed me to use chains of lace/paper to achieve what I wanted and give extra detail to really make the piece show the complexity of dreams within this physical representation. Another reason for my lace choice was because I had already used it on my quilt and this would help the room to flow better as the different designes would all match.




I began to look at two options for this wall piece, both of which were to do with lace patterns. My first idea was to cut out chains of the lace pattern and use many of these chains on the wall to create the effect. I tested this by placing sheets of black paper on the wall, cutting out a couple of chains from a lace curtain and sticking them up to see how this would look. The black paper was to make sure that the lace could be seen clearly against the wall during the tests, and could be seen in pictures more easily when doing test comparisons.


The other idea was to create a stencil for this lace pattern and create much longer chains by cutting out this design from paper, this idea origanated from my first project as I had done something similar wih repetitve map patterns. This of course was a little different as the patterns would be much thinner and more inticate, and there would be many long chains. To test this i used blue tak to temporerily stick up a chain to see how it would look, this pattern was more easily distinquishable from the wall so I did not use any black paper behind this chain.


After these tests, I decided that the paper lace chains were the better choice as they seemed to give a better representation of dreams. This is because the actual lace chains would not stay in the pattern shape as it is flexible whereas the paper patterns maintain there shape better. Also the lace cut outs were too small for a large scale design and took a much longer to cut out as it is a very long and difficault task to cut out each lace chain as they are very intricate.

I used long reels of paper that i folded back on itself before cutting patterns into it, this made the long chains of the repeating pattern. I began putting these up with double sided tape until it looked like the right position and then using pins once it did. After putting up a couple of these chains and becoming more confident about where to position them, I decided to put some in the air, hanging from invisible thread as i thought this would help to invole the whole room in the physical aspect of the dream. As I put up these chains I made sure they were twisted which helped give it all a different look, dispite being a repeat of one pattern. This twisting goes back to my influences from Mia Pearlman, as she has twisted paper which gave the effect I was trying to achieve. I also tried to spread out the chains starting from the bed, the start here is much thicker and has more chains and as it spreads out it becomes thinner like the dreams are flowing and spreading over the room as they help to blur the line between being asleep and being awake.




No comments: