Friday 10 June 2011

Starting to Make My Quilt

I measured out a quilt to be around 2m x 1m and the biggest I could get my sleeping pics on fabric is the size of an A3 piece of paper. This worked out that I could fit 12 patches in my quilt if I made the patches square.
After making the decision of using my developed sleeping images for patches on my quilt, I needed to pick what patch technique I'd like in my quilt. My patches looked good together but it would be better to have only 3 or 4 styles and make a few with different sleeping pictures in these style shows a links all over the quilt instead of it being too overwhelming. My favorite as well as most people's opinion was the image with the lace sewn on. Having this idea to start with let me pick and choose others that would work well with it with similar trates but also use different mediums like stitched pieces. I chose one where I stitched in drawing the pattern of the lace and the one where I stitched circular around and image of someone. I also wanted to have painted patches within my quilt aswell to highlight the sleeping image aswell as trying to show dreams coming out from people in the images.






For each technique I needed specifically set images like for my circular stitches patches I needed pictures of people from above. The painted patches needed close up images, the stitched lace would need space above the people in the image and the lace patches needed the people to be in the middle with space around for lace.

When making the patches I was able to change things about the patches. i used a cream thread of the stitched lace drawing as its a similar to the colour of lace but also stood out from the white backgrounds. i wanted to use pale colours for the circular stitched and the white wasn't very noticable and the darker tones were too harsh as the paler colour for the calmness of sleeping. I didn't stitch in small flowers and leaves into the lace patches as from the distance people wouldn't notice them very much.

After making the patches I played around with the positioning of the patches, I attempted to go for a diagonal pattern for each patch type. I also kept the two lace type patches seperate because they are too similar. Meaning the rows between two lace images were for the painted and circular stitch patches. I put the painted patches quite central as these were quite bright in comparison to the others, especially the patch of the blonde haired person.

No comments: