Monday 23 May 2011

Sourcing My Bedroom Furniture

The first thing i did for my installation was getting the furniture, this is because it helped me picture how the final installation would look and give me a better idea for sizes with the other sections. As I already had an idea what I wanted the final piece to look like, i knew what kind of furniture I needed. The bed was the first piece, I wanted something wooden because it give a softer tone than a hard metal bed, along with a warmer feeling than you get from a cold metal bed. The recycled bed I had chosen works well for the atmosphere i'm trying to create because of it's dark colour and scratches showing that it is worn, which is important to show that it is a restless night. I thought that having my film played on a tv beside the bed adds to room aswell as enphasizing my aim to show dreams coming into the "real life" by having my dream sequence film integrated into the space. I needed a bed side table for something to put the tv on as well as adding to the bed room feel. When picking the bedside table I wanted it to be wooden so it wouldn't contrast with the bed.

When putting the furniture together in the space I switched the tv and bed around so the bed wasn't up against the wall. This opens up the space more making it bigger and inviting that they feel more in the room and involved. This also put the tv in the background making people look over the bed to view the film. So that i could plug in the tv and link the DVD player to it, I had to have a hole drilled in the wall so that I could reach a plug and place the DVD player elsewhere, this stopped me from having wires running across my instillation which would have ruined the atmosphere.


1 comment:

Jack Shaw said...

God help us if there was two maisies