Monday 9 May 2011

Dream Patches

I struggled to begin my dream patches because it's hard to make or draw something that doesn't exist like dreams. It was hard to picture these small stories into one single image without experiencing them. So I moved on from trying to make collages from the existing dreams of my survey results to looking at common dream themes as this would make it broad to create an idea of a story on a textile patch.

I looked at Dadaism for collage ideas of how to set out dream images, to use a lot of random images to create collages of a dream stories. Dadaists imitated the techniques developed during the cubist movement through the pasting of cut pieces of paper items. They used scissors and glue to express their views of modern life through images.


I also referred to the work of Tilleke Schwarz that uses a mixture of images and text in embroidery that contains a narrative quality. Schwarz's work would then over through Vicky Lindo's work for image design of patches as it would worked better with the collages, as it'd be like the collages but in a textile element.


Eventually I found that I was going nowhere with the collages by trying to use images I had sourced from the internet and the collage I was trying to make with these didn't create much of a story. This wasn't going in the direction that I wanted for these patches so I scrapped the idea for these patches. Instead of my dream patches I made the decision to change all my patch ideas to my developed sleeping. This works out easier as I have already developed sleeping images and it will add to my idea of dreams coming out into real life within my installation and make it more obvious what I’m trying to express by seeing images that describe it.

No comments: