Thursday 10 January 2013

Gravity - Simone Ten Homple

Today was gravity day and we were visited by metal worker Simone Ten Homple. Simone's specifically works to make utensils like vessel and spoons. Simone's work doesn't particularly appeal to me and my craft but what I did pick up from the lecture was that it's important to learn by the process of asking questions and finding out whether it works or not, otherwise we'd never know. Simone is a strong believer of this and carries this out within her own work. What I also liked about her work is that during her process of making her utensils she will look at the design of the it and pick out the main elements and play with that to redesign it. She made a teapot without a handle and surrounded the hole where the water goes in with stone to be able to pick it up. I'm also quite fond of how she will make multiples of things and having them together as a collection with each piece being something different to the next.


No comments: