Wednesday 5 January 2011

Shadow Catchers Exhibition

I went to London to visit the 'Shadow Catchers' exhibition in the V&A Gallery. This Exhibition Presents the work from 5 international contempory artists that without a camera create images on photographic paper by casting shadows and manipulating light, or by chemically treating the surface of the paper. Images made with a camera imply a documentary role. In contrast, camera-less photographs show what has never really existed. 



The one artist I was most interested in while visiting was Floris Neusüss that makes photograms mainly of the human image. I like how his work captures brief and glimpsing moments using light sensitive paper.



This piece to me always seemed quite ghostly, but I still really like it because it obviously shows how someone was there but no longer.


This was my favorite of which I seen of Neusüss' work. It doesn't look like much from a first view but after reading it's discription of how he made it was what I was most amazed by. What he did to create this was placing photographic paper in a garden at night during a thunderstorm, and letting lightning expose the paper.

Shadow Catchers
Floris Neusüss Shadow Catchers Video

No comments: