Friday 21 January 2011

Felt Maps: Jeanette Appleton

I've recently learnt how to felt and with my first attempt I tried to make blue roads with thick pieces of felt. This didn't give me the effect I was hoping as it didn't look greatly like roads but at the edges of the blue felt were little strands coming off gave me the idea to finer strands. I tried felting pieces of map into my own and I even attempted sewing into felt pieces that I made.



After this I was introduced to a piece by Jeanette Appleton. In the exhibition 'Through The Surface' Jeanette Appleton is paired with Japanese textile artist, Naoko Yoshimoto for their similar concerns with the notion of memory and the transformation of substances from one state to another. Appleton produced a 45 meter length of needle felt for her exhibition piece showing along the length of the felted fabric the journey overtaken in this project and felting in pieces like cloths tags, water bottle labels, drawings and other things that she picked up on her journey with Yoshimoto.


I like how she created a long piece to demonstraight a journey stretched along a piece of fabric and will be something I'll consider for continuing on.

Through The Surface: Jeanette Appleton & Naoko Yoshimoto 

No comments: