Monday 3 January 2011

Printing & Sewing with Maps

From cut out maps I began to look at printing through cut out maps and after collage I thought this could be a good point to persist with looking at various types of backgrounds. I've tried using cellulose thinner on fabrics and multiple ways I can use a variety of materials together. I also tested printing on to translucent fabric, that work pretty well and i'm intending on using these again. I tried out two types of patterns to print; the first is of a cut out map and the other of a pattern that is related to maps like a pirate map.



I've sewn into a couple of my printed pieces and I liked how I sewn along the roads of one that it gave me the idea to make a quilt doing the same.



I loved how my quilted piece turned out I wanted to do more with this idea that I tried sewing into maps. After sewing along the roads didn't make much of an effect on the map I tried sewing along the contour lines of a map. After a whole day at the sewing machine I was amazed how beautiful the pattern created was. I'd like to copy this further but I all them lines are too complicated to translate without having the map with the line work into.


No comments: