Thursday 27 March 2014

Formative

Today I had my formative assessment on my current project. We discussed that I need to strongly progress with sampling. For my sampling I need to consider a range of materials. So far I've found problems looking at regular woven materials. As I want to use strips of fabric using ways of fixing the edges through over locking or folding will make it look poor and scruffy. It was suggested to me to use ribbon like materials where the edges of the woven material are woven within the sides. However I think ribbon like materials that I've seen looks a bit tacky and unappealing. I need to find a non-woven fabric meaning there is no weft for it to fray. I've been considering materials like leather and pvc. After talking to the textile tutors and doing some exploring it would be better to work in a plastic material. I can try a range of different plastic materials. I've struggled to find any decent suppliers online for pvc. It has been recommended to look at a shop in London. This shop is said to have a bigger range of plastic materials and are of a high fashion quality. To explore these types of fabrics I would have to make a special trip to London to go to the shop to purchase plastic materials for me to use.

No comments: