Friday 29 November 2013

Pattern Drafting: Attempt 5

This week I have been focusing on my final attempt of pattern drafting before I focus more into creative samples. For this I wanted to carry on from my last sample of a lined bodice with the addition of a skirt and to attempt my first application of a zip. I used the same pattern for the bodice but had to draw out a new pattern block for the skirt. I had to adjust the pattern by combining two darts on the back into one and moving the darts to be inline with the darts on the bodice and adjusted the lengths of the waist on the front and back to also make the side seams line up. Once I had the pattern drafted up all I need to do was to use the pieces to see if the matched up nicely and that it wasn't all out of proportion. I had some difficulty putting in the zip as I found stitching it on really difficult on the sewing machine. I think next time I will try to use a zipper foot. Making a dress meant I didn't have to attach the lining to the bottom of the item and hemmed them separately. For my very first attempt at a dress including a zip I think it worked out pretty successfully. My only thought is on the length and style of the skirt but I will leave all of that to the future designing and to now focus on my creative ideas to apply to this base.


No comments: