Monday 18 November 2013

Pattern Drafting Bodice (Attempt 4)

After speaking to Nancy about my last attempt apparently I was doing it wrong I'm to finish the edges after the darts which is why I struggled to get it in line. We talked about how I could finish the edges. I was going to try bias tape to roll over the edges but it was suggested that I might prefer lining the garment. With lining I wouldn't have to deal with all the ends of fabric and darts on the inside as it will all be covered by the lining. I looked online for tutorials on how to line a garment. A lining is like a duplicate of the garment in lining fabric that is then stitch right side to right side around the neck and arm holes to stay in place. I looked at tutorial videos to learn how to stitch the shoulder straps, I had to put the one half of the strap into the other to stitch them together. It took longer for me to make the bodice because of all the bits I had to do for the lining. Usually with a dress the lining would hang down and be turned over and over locked, but with this I stitched around the edges like at the neck and arm holes, pulled it through a small hole and hand stitched the rest. In my next attempt I'm going to make a dress, a skirt addition to the bodice pattern I've been using, in order to try to use the lining properly and to try inputting a zip.




No comments: