Tuesday 4 December 2012

Patchwork Samples

Later today I carried on with my 3DSP quilting by looking at patchwork. Using The Singer Quilting Bible I was able to look an assortment of different patchwork patterns. I wanted to try the range of shapes, Square, rectangle, triangle and curves. I started with square and rectangle patchwork which was relatively easy with straight lines to sew. Following the books instructions and previous patchwork projects for cushions has taught me that it helps to iron down the seems of the pieces after each stitching. It takes a lot of planning and measuring before actually putting together a patchwork piece, even small ones. Planning for the triangle patchwork was not as easy to prepare the patches as I had to use the  Pythagoras theorem I used in maths lessons many years ago to work out the lengths of the some sides of the triangle patches. The curved patches were the most difficult to pin and sew together and they still didn't match up properly and had ripples in the fabric at the seems. Like the others it was supposed to be square but pinning and stitching the pieces together was so difficult that it became misshapen. I really do not want to do curves ever again, they really don't work out very well at all.

No comments: