Wednesday 5 December 2012

Machine Stitch Quilt Samples


Carrying on with my 3DSP samples I explored the difference in the effect of quilting with the change in the distance between the stitching. I sewn lines of stitching across fabric sandwiched wadding. Each sample's stitched lines got further and further apart to give a variety from little to big spaces between the lines. I also tried another range of samples where I had stitched another set of lines over the first lot creating stitched squares. As the space between the stitching got smaller the piece became less malleable and stiffer. The smaller spaced samples were flatter and more controlled. The larger spaced samples were very loose and flexible. The extra layer of crossed stitching in a different direction became more fixed and stiffed the fabrics and wadding quite strong to the one way single layer of stitching. When crossing over stitching I'm creating pockets and with pockets you need to be careful to keep the fabric flat out when making so not to get lumpy fabric.

No comments: