Monday 10 December 2012

Knitting Machine Workshop

This week starts with an introduction to the knitting machine workshop. Even though I had already attempted the knitting machine before and have a very basic understanding of the machine but I attended with hope to further my knowledge of the knitting machine. This was a wonderous workshop as I learnt so much and recapped lots in one day. I went over casting on & off and lace holes again but found out about picking up dropped stitches, twists and changing colour. I was able to create a sample patch for each process where I'd try to show a range of what I could do with the process. I was shown how to create my own ball of yarn by combining yarns together that I then knitted with. We also got demonstrations on how to use the pattern cards and to hook the end back on and with the addition of lace holes in the middle give a nice lacey bumpy finish. I also learnt that I could knit with jewelers' wire. I sampled knitting the wire on it's own and combined with yarn to see the difference. Knitting with wire allows it to be molded and shaped. Knitting with the wire on it's own was difficult as you need to get the tension right. It took me a couple of attempts as the wire would break.




No comments: