Thursday 13 December 2012

Gravity - Paddy Hartley

Another gravity lecture, this week from Paddy Hartley. From looking at his work previous to the lecture I was unsure I was really going to be interested in his work as it seemed they outrageous and obscure. During the lecture I found it to very interesting to see the ideas behind the work, which really changed my perspective of his work. After the lecture I noticed that his work really focuses on body adornment and thinking of it in this sense made it more appealing to me. I liked his face corsets work that focused on the idea of body manipulation. I like how he took this idea and saw a great deal of potential in it with the exploration of it in materials and shape. His work relating to the patient records of the First World War's Servicemen about the origins and development of surgical facial reconstruction pioneered by New Zealander Sir Harold Gillies was really his most popular of work. This was also focusing on the face but swayed from the face adornments to making uniforms decorated with personal documents and information about the surgery they undertaken. I thought this was something very sentimental and delicate issue and make it into something beautiful. It was very well done with relation to how the surgery worked and replicated it in the work.


No comments: