Thursday 1 May 2014

Tutorial: Lisa Porche

My first tutorial after the Easter holidays was with Lisa Porche and I had a lot of things to discuss. We first went over my materials that I was using for my folded formed strings. I was able to identify which materials I liked most and thought worked best. These were:

  • shiny black
  • geometric textured grey
  • matt grey
  • clear shiny
  • matt white

Through these we talked about my idea to combine come of the different textured or coloured materials together. We both agreed that depending on whether they complement each other then it would be very good as two type of necklace things that are worn together

I had also recently explored varying widths of the chains. I informed her that from my finding that the larger ones are floppy and possibly too large. I'm thinking I would go slightly bigger than the usual size i've been doing possibly a centimeter before it starts looking weak. I had also tried making smaller sized the samples going as small as half of my usual size. I liked these and the changing of size and had decided to test a changing size of the strips to see how that works or consider combining loops of chains into sets of two or three with different thicknesses.

We went into depth about my collection/s for the upcoming final show. It was decided that I could fit three items in my space and that these items will be similar styled items being long chains that loop around the neck like necklaces but with vast quantities. It was advised that to make these different that I should explore different patterns in order to show development and express a variety of skills. I'm thinking that I will have three different patterned adorning items and that because how they are is similar I could change the colours of the materials like black, grey and white to show that they are different patterned as if they were in the same coloured material it could be missed that they are all actually different.

For my final show I need to consider how I am to display my items. I was first considering buying mannequins which means I would have to purchase them now in order for them to arrive on time. Lisa suggested a better idea of displaying by cutting out a human figure from perspex and using that instead of a bulky mannequin. I think this is a better form of display as a mannequin can seem very heavy to look at and is very typical form to think of displaying and when going to New Designers there will be loads of people using mannequins for display. However using a shaped perspex form to display will be different and will not only match my plastic material use but also blend and not distract from the pieces. My only consideration with this now is how the flat sheet of perspex with stand and I will have to explore how to solve this problem.

No comments: