Tuesday 17 April 2012

London Day Trip: V&A, Natural History Museum and Science Museum

I traveled to London to visit the V&A Museum, here I saw the 'Transformation and Revelation' exhibition showcasing a range of theature design in set, costume, drawing, sound and lighting design. What I liked in the exhibition was the lighting pieces and the costume. I particularly liked the lighting set design 'Six Landscapes of Grief'  by Bob Crowley. I liked his use of light behind the painted linen and the effects and marks of paint that are elluminated giving a faded, innocent and ghostly look.


I also like the display of costumes from various theatre productions and plays. I liked how the costumes are made to decribe a character's role and personality and that through this the clothing has more theme and fantasy with story along with them. I've always had a slight interest in costume/clothing construction and a desire to make one day look into making my own. The 'Tutu for Bugaku' and Marie-Jenna Lecca's dress for 'Agrippina' caught my eye the most with their use of layering of materials.


Whilst also in London I managed to go to the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. These places wasn't very inspiring for any art work but I did have fun looking at the dinosaur section in the NHM, which was totally awesome. They have a real life automated T-rex, which was the high light of my day. But what was most important was a total revelation I had when I saw this parachute on a Huygens Titan Lander replica in the SM. I dont know much about the Huygens Titan Lander but when I saw this parachute attached to the replica I was so amazed by the shape of it and it's strings.


With dresses on the brain from the Transformation exibition it dawned on me an idea for my work. I could make a dress out of paper and incorporate my cut paper webs theme into the skirt with lots of layering. I though about this for a while and with my inclusion of light I could add this under the skirt, eluminating the skirt. Also thinking this over I have also enountered a few issuses I need addressed at a tutorial. This is whether i have time to hand cut out the webs and make this within the 7 weeks whilst also experimenting and creating a whole body of work? I'm also going to need to get hold of a tailors dummy to make it and they don't come cheap as well as lighting for undernieth. So many thoughts that it doesn't feel possible to complete.

No comments: