Thursday 26 April 2012

Becky Adams Workshop (Part 2)


Another amazing day with Becky Adams, we had a day long workshop with her making more books. She brought us loads of things to play with, papers, fabric etc. even some old metal pocket watches she didn't want. She demonstrated to us how to make the lous flower fold book and a pocket book before we shot off to fold, cut, tear and glue again. Not knowing of what to base my book about Becky wanted to breifly look through my recent work to see what I was interested. While quickly looking through my sketchbook she instantly fell in love with my paper cut out designs and started me off with the idea to make a book with the pages all with cut up patterns. WIth my inspiration I began cutting away into many layers of pages making sure I repeated the patten to match the following pages. After cutting my paper I glued all the pages together and made a cover by covering some cardboard in fabric and sticking it either end of my pages. I added a little ribbon to the front corner to indicate which way to open as it is a very delicate piece.  At the end of the day we all got together to display what we had all been working hard on to everyone and becky. There were some very beautiful and inpiring pieces made and it was so interesting how different people had had changed and adapted their ideas to a simple piece. Watching everyone's reactions when they saw my finished piece put a smile on my face and really made all that hard work worth while.



I found making these books to be really interesting and that making my own books isn't as hard and complicated as I had imagined. The lotus flower old has certainly inspired me for patterns I can make and play with for my dress skirt. If I get layers and layers of them or make a string of these could work as the lotus fold makes my flat paper cut outs more 3D and sculptural.

No comments: