Wednesday 4 June 2014

Finishing Display

Today I've been on the mission to finish making my display to be put up on the wall tomorrow. I already had the body shaped plastic cut out from Monday. All I needed to do today was to make the part that was stuck to the back of the body and joining the wall. James had instructed me to use plastic glue to stick plastic dowels to the back and the dowels with slot into holes in the wall. I was a bit concerned about the glue holding to either side of the dowels and worried that by hanging it up with this process that it might fall off. I talk to Ian in workshop about my intention with the dowels and he informs me that it's not a very sturdy way of hanging. The problem is that the surface area of the dowels glued to the back is too small meaning it won't be strong enough to hold. Also I'd need to get the dowel at perfect right angles and I would risk breaking the bodies by drilling holes in for the dowels to go in. We brainstormed some idea to make the surface larger and finally came to the idea of a frame/bracket that had a square base to glue to the back on the left and right sides of the of the base square were panels bent at right angles away from the base giving the space between the bodies and the wall. Then another two parts folding at right angles away from the panels, parallel to the base square to then be attached to the wall with screws through keyhole shaped holes in the sections. This bracket would be much stronger and ensure that the display is parallel to the wall by using the larger surface areas.
We made the bracket from clear perspex and cut out the shape and etched the lines with the laser cutter. I was able to shape them using the strip heater to melt the plastic along the etched lines to make it malleable toe bend it into right angles. With the brackets made we could glue them using plastic glue onto the back of the bodies making sure they were straight based on the bottom of the bodies.

No comments: