Thursday 12 December 2013

Fabric Cubes

I've been browsing through the pattern magic books looking for some inspiration and techniques for forms within fabric. The first one I wanted to try was to make 'Lumps and Bumps' where they make fabric cubes come out from a flat surface. To make the pattern for this it works like making paper nets. I made mine with three pieces. I had one long piece that was to form the surface and would go up a side over the top and back down. Other two pieces formed the other two side pieces and most of the flat surface. I really liked my little lonely square sticking out of the fabric, I wanted to see if I can multiples side-by-side. I decided 9 square would be the perfect amount so i can see how one that was completely surrounded would act. For this sample it took a lot more planning. As they are so close together I had to use lots of pieces to be able to have seam allowance. This one took fifteen pieces. It took a long time to put together as it was rather complicated trying to stitch four pieces of fabric together in a cross and stitching the straight pieces of fabric around corners. However troublesome it was, it still worked out really well. I think possibly next time as a new sample I could have the cubes more spaced out so i have to use less pieces of fabric. I was also thinking about varying the heights or sizes of the squares. The multiple cube sample is really good when on a shaped surface as the mold really nicely to it by spraying out the cubes in any direction.




No comments: