Monday 7 October 2013

A New Year, A New Project

This term I would like to continue on from my previous work to advance in my interest of fabric manipulation with folding and stitching and applying it to the body, making wearable pieces.

Over the summer I have looked at how I could improve and fix any issues I had. On my final piece I had problems keeping the folded structures strong and crisp. I have learnt that the fabric I was using was not suitable for the process I was undertaking and fabric manipulation works better with stitch as a fixative than with shibori techniques, especially when there is a weight to it.

Looking at the work of Alexa Liss I found that I could continue using my folding patterns but when applying it to the body I keep its form by stitching it to a base fabric, like a bodice. From this I knew that I would need to teach myself how to pattern draft to be able to make clothing and to better understand the shape of the body. While looking for books on pattern drafting I came across a series of pattern books called Pattern Magic that specializes on pattern drafting clothes with unusual shapes and forms added to them.


Alexa Liss

No comments: