Tuesday 1 February 2011

Journey Markings

After my movement in an area drawings I wanted to make my marks of a journey more real. Looking at Mary Clare Foa I found that she walked around New York dragging behind her a lump of chalk leaving a line on the floor. I tried doing this but instead I tapped chalk to the end of a stick.




 
After seeing photographic documentation of Francis Alys' work I wanted to try expressing more journeys using different materials. An example of Alys' work is his walk through stockholm, fair tales, with an unraveling sweater drawing sinuous lines on his own personal map. It was this that inspired me to try something similar using an unraveling scarf. I took lots of photos to document the journey and the change in the size of the scarf.




Linking back to my movement in an area drawings I wanted to try this with more than one person, but using wool or string was found for this would make it hard to pick up the variety of colours so I've chose to use ribbon. In a small area with trees for the ribbon to wrap around I asked 5 people to to walk in the area leaving a trail of ribbon.





No comments: