Monday 5 March 2012

Oxford University Museum of Natural History and Pitt Rivers Museum

Today I visited Oxford University Museum of Natural History and Pitt Rivers Museum. I got to look around at all the different areas and collection. There was something there for everyone to find interesting.



I think I was most excited at first by the dinosaurs skeletons as I love dinosaurs, even the dug out dino-footprints in the grass outside the building we're awesome.



When looking around I saw lots of interesting things, specifically I was trying to find things that related to my theme of lace and webs. I found one section about rope, nets and knots that were interesting a i got to see different patterns of nets and different types of rope/string material they're made of.



I also found a lot of weaved pieces around the Pitt that were also quite interesting towards my theme, showing the interlinking of materials.



One thing that was pretty cool was that I saw this thing that people used to make lace. Apparently it take two people to weave the threads between each other and around the pins that creates the pattern with each thread that is joined together between two bobbins.
I talked to another student about a lace making course in Oxford for a day during the Easter holidays but considering trying to find one closer to home. I need to still look into simpler alternatives to lace like crochet.


No comments: